Do you want to work with Alaska Youth Advocates?
Peer Outreach Worker
Do you have experience with homelessness or other issues facing local teens? We hire Peer Outreach Workers regularly and are always accepting applications! AYA’s Peer Outreach Worker Education and Referral (POWER) program offers training to teens providing them with the skills to do street outreach, conduct prevention-based presentations to their peers, and staff the free midtown POWER Teen Center.
Ideal candidate is 15-19 years old.
Must have a genuine commitment to better inform the youth of Anchorage.
Must be able to cope/handle with conflict appropriately.
Must be working toward goals relating to education, employment, and independence.
FUNCTIONS: Facilitate educational presentations on topics concerning family planning methods, HIV/AIDS, preventing unintended pregnancy, STI’s, emotional health concerns, communication skills, addiction, job training, and other topics relevant to Anchorage youth. Will be responsible for office duties and street outreach.
- Ability to listen and be non-judgmental
- Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences
- Ability to establish effective relationships with other teens
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment and positive rapport
- Ability to identify with diverse populations of teens
- Ability to demonstrate organizational skills
- Ability to read, write, and speak clearly
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Record interactions on appropriate forms
- Research various topics that affect teenagers
- Develop creative ways of presenting the materials
- Design materials to be used in presentations
- Maintain the cleanliness of the POWER Teen Center
- Facilitate group presentations
- Provide feedback and input to fellow employees and staff
- Attend and participate in all scheduled meetings
You can apply in person at 704 W 26th Ave during drop in hours (Mon-Thu 1pm-5pm), or complete our online application here:
Once you complete the application you can drop it off in person or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clinical Associate–Transition Age Youth
Full-time position providing case management to transition age youth (TAY) and Alaska Youth Advocates (AYA) participants. Duties include: referring TAY to other community agencies if required, developing employment skills of the TAY, providing educational services, assisting TAY in obtaining housing, and assisting TAY in accessing community resources. This position will also support TAY staff at AYA and Alaska Seeds of Change via one-on-one and group skill building and creating of goals and transition plans with TAY. Additional duties include serving as back-up drop-in center supervisor and working alongside TAY in the Seeds of Change greenhouse. This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology, Psychology, Social Work, or a related field and experience with at-risk, homeless youth and cross-cultural issues preferred. Other educational, professional, or culturally relevant experience may be considered. Computer skills required. A satisfactory driving record and proof of vehicle insurance is required upon offer of employment. Excellent salary and benefits including health insurance, generous paid time off, and 401(k). Position open until filled. ACMHS application is required. Online application available at www.acmhs.com. Attn: HR Job #18-28. ACMHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.